Re: RFS: unetbootin

On 11.12.2011 11:11, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>> but I disagree with you if you claim
>> that there would be no reason to use debhelper 8 at all.
>
> I didn't say so, see above.

I'm sorry, you are right.

> One more example:
> -8<-
> $ cupt depends akregator | grep libc6
>   Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.3)
> ->8-
> Lenny has libc6 2.7.
[..]
> Huh? So, packages which had a debhelper compat level of 7 in some
> Lenny/Squeeze development time were fine because 7 was the "recommended
> compat level" but they suddenly became "old crap which is known to be
> broken" now?

you seem to misunderstand my argument. We have dependencies to express
package relations. You (or dpkg-shlipdeps in this case) claims a program
would need libc6 (>= 2.1.3). It does so by determining the minimal
version providing all symbols your program needs.

That's all right and it would be an error to artificially raise any
dependency without actual need to do so.

Note, I was outlining debhelper's compatibility levels are a different
case though. They aren't declaring any dependency - we already have a
better method to express them, including build dependencies to a given
debhelper version itself.

Debhelper's compatibility level is an orthogonal approach. It's a
promise that your build procedures do _not_ break when using certain
features. If you are building a package with debhelper 8.9.something
installed which has, say, debhelper compat 4, debhelper disables certain
features, behaviors and so on it would use or enforce otherwise. It does
not imply at all you would need debhelper 8.9.x to build it.

Hence, I advertise people to use debhelper compat 8 in source packages
where a package is known to work in that compatibility level. It does
not mean "Hey, my package needs debhelper 8.x", but "My package is known
to work with debhelper 8". For the same reason I discourage debhelper
compatibility level 9 by the way. You can't guarantee your package won't
break in that level as it is not finalized yet.

In most cases you would still need to declare a build dependency for a
given debhelper version because some features you use require it. That's
not directly related to the compatibility levels though. The
fact Lintian encourages you to raise the build depends of debhelper
along your compatibility level is feasible, but not a real requirement
in many cases.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll