Re: RFS: mobile-broadband-provider-info (updated package)

On 24.11.2011 14:36, Didier Raboud wrote:
> Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> This is why I think packaging it at all is possibly a bad idea since
>> people running Debian stable/oldstable will always have old
>> information. It would be better if the software that uses it were to
>> be responsible for downloading it periodically.
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> If we take that path, then we might as well allow usb-modeswitch to download
> its latest "modeswitching" strategies for the 3G dongles that need one. Oh
> and usb-modeswitch could then also update its binary too as "anyone wants
> the latest" anyway.

Once your hardware is working, there is no need to periodically update
the database. On the contrary, this introduces the risk, that a update
might actually have a regression and it stops working.

That said, mobile-broadband-provider-info sounds like a good candidate
for volatile.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?