Re: preserving user changes while managing configuration files

Hi!

Am 23.11.2011 09:18, schrieb Dennis van Dok:

> My question is whether this method sufficiently implements the policy,
> or if there are other ways to go about it.

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure about this.  But you might want to look at
the ucf utility and it's usage in maintainer scripts.  The workflow
would basically be, that you call debconf and your script, but not
instantly replace the configuration file, but save it in into a
temporary file.  Then you call ucf, which either replaces the
configuration file, if it hasn't been changed, or asks the administrator
what to do (including an option to show a diff between the files).

Best regards,
  Alexander