Re: RFS: php-pecl-http - extended HTTP support for php5

Hi,

@debian mentors: this is AFAIK widely used by other libraries (and I intend to
submit anotherone myself soon). Please consider sponsoring this package!

On Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:40:10 AM Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > I've looked over it and found a few things:
> > * The get-orig-source target is really strange.
> > ** It only works from the debian/ directory
>
> Uh, not really - I've updated the package all the way from 1.6.0 to
> 1.7.1 using "./debian/rules get-orig-source" from the "php-pecl-http"
> directory of my Git checkout.  Are there any problems that you've had
> when you've tried to use it from the "real" source directory?

One mistake on my side, I meant the real source directory. It should however
work from *any* directory. But I do get:
<quote>
mati@haumea:~/php-pecl-http$ pkg-debian/debian/rules get-orig-source
tail: cannot open `debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
dpkg-parsechangelog: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
Upstream tarball ../tarballs/pecl_http-.tar.gz exists
rm -rf "../tarballs/pecl_http-" "../tarballs/-.orig"
tar -zxf "../tarballs/pecl_http-.tar.gz" -C "../tarballs"

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
make: *** [get-orig-source] Error 2
</quote>

But all those variables that you need to parse debian/changelog for are *only*
required by the get-orig-source target.

But what I *really* don't like is the "rm -rf ${some_uninitialized_variable}"
part. Thats really dangerous, I think you need to find a cleaner way to
repackage the source tarball (see thread "original source has file in top-level
directory" thread for suggestions) . But I don't think you have to: just check
out how I did it with the phpdocumentor package (very similar situation). You
can browse my git-repo here:
	http://git.fsinf.at/apt/php-restauth/trees/master/php-phpdocumentor-1.4.3

> > ** It removes some files without -f that simply aren't there
>
> Ah, right; I'd forgotten about that part - it is stashed in my local Git
> repository; I've just committed it, I'll upload a fixed package to
> mentors.d.n probably tomorrow.  It was just one file anyway ;)

You do not seem to have committed and pushed that yet.

> > ** It appears to repackage the source tar
>
> Yes, the reason is that I wanted the source files in the "correct"
> directory and not in a pecl_http-1.7.1 one, so debhelper could do all
> its automagic processing without having to change into another
> directory.  Admittedly, it removes the XML file that also happens to
> contain the package's changelog; I've just realized that I need not
> remove it, merely move it into the proper directory; I'll think about
> that tomorrow.

Again, you do not need to repackage the source tarball at all. If you need to
remove files in order to build the package correctly, add them to debian/clean.

> > * I couldn't get your debian/watch file to work, this one works:
> > 	http://pecl.php.net/package/pecl_http \
> >
> > 	  /get/pecl_http-([\d\.]*).tgz  debian
>
> Hmm, that's interesting.  Attached is the output of "uscan --report
> --verbose" on my machine with the watchfile from the uploaded package;
> can you show me the output on your system?

It does work now. Perhaps the server was down or something.

greetings, Mati

--
me on twitter: @mathiasertl | soup: http://soup.er.tl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!