Re: original source has file in top-level directory

Hi!

On Friday, November 18, 2011 01:13:52 AM Charles Plessy wrote:
> if the file is completely useless and is not intended to shift the tree of
> one level, you can delete it.  Here is for instance how I did for the
> bedtools package, where the upstream tarball contained some Macintosh
> ressource files for the top-level directory.

I encountered this when I was reviewing (and I still hope this gets into
debian by some Debian maintainer ;-)) the php-pecl-http package submitted by
Peter Pentchev on this list a few days ago. The whole debian/rules file depends
on that rebuilt tarball where the top-level files are removed. That did struck
me as odd.

Simultaniously I was building php-phpdocumentor, were I didn't need this with
the drawback of depending on CDBS.

> But before embarking in adding complexity to your package, there is
> something even simpler to do: talk to Upstream !

Thats a bit hard when you get tarballs from pear. They won't reorganize those
pear tarballs in general just for Debian, I guess. Still not repacking the
source seems like the better idea.

greetings, Mati

--
me on twitter: @mathiasertl | soup: http://soup.er.tl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!