Re: original source has file in top-level directory

Le Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:59:25PM +0100, Mathias Ertl a écrit :

> I am having problems building a source package where the original source
> package includes a file at the top-level directory. For example, the
> orig.tar.gz contains:
>
>     mati@haumea:~ $ tar tf some_1.7.1.orig.tar.gz
>     topfile
>     some/file1
>     some/file2

Dear Mathias,

if the file is completely useless and is not intended to shift the tree of one
level, you can delete it.  Here is for instance how I did for the bedtools
package, where the upstream tarball contained some Macintosh ressource files
for the top-level directory.

get-orig-source:
	uscan --no-symlink --force-download --download-version $(DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION)
	zcat ../BEDTools.v$(DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION).tar.gz \
	| tar --wildcards \
		--delete '*/._*' \
	| xz \
	> ../$(DEB_SOURCE_PACKAGE)_$(DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION).orig.tar.xz

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-med/bedtools.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;hb=2fe7cffc95d61a83c59569f816f83c4607fb6398

(Note that the DEB_* variables are obtained from CDBS)

When re-creating the tarball, please note that if you use gzip, independant
repacking will produce tarballs of different MD5 sums, so I would recommend to
pass --no-name so that it does not include the timestamps that are the cause
for this variability.

But before embarking in adding complexity to your package, there is something
even simpler to do: talk to Upstream !

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy