Re: original source has file in top-level directory

* Mathias Ertl <mati@fsinf.at>, 2011-11-17, 12:59:
I am having problems building a source package where the original source package includes a file at the top-level directory. For example, the orig.tar.gz contains:

   mati@haumea:~ $ tar tf some_1.7.1.orig.tar.gz
   topfile
   some/file1
   some/file2

This causes problems when I try to build the source package using dpkg-source -b. It claims that all files in the original source where added to the source-file. Example:

   mati@haumea:~ $ dpkg-source -b some-1.7.1
   dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
   dpkg-source: info: building some using existing ./some_1.7.1.orig.tar.gz
   dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file topfile
   dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of directory some
   dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file some/file1
   dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file some/file2
   dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
   some-1.7.1/file1
   some-1.7.1/file2
   dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see ...

When I remove "topfile" (the one on the top-level), I do not have the problem.

How does the some-1.7.1 directory look like? It should be like this:

some-1.7.1/topfile
some-1.7.1/some/file1
some-1.7.1/some/file2

NOT like this:

some-1.7.1/file1
some-1.7.1/file2

Is it approriate to repackage the orig.tar.gz in this case (if the file is not needed)?

No.

--
Jakub Wilk