Re: RFR: wader, a ModemManager replacement

* Alex Chiang <achiang@canonical.com>, 2011-11-14, 13:29:
 http://mentors.debian.net/package/wader

 dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/w/wader/wader_0.5.8-1.dsc

(I don't intend to sposnor this package.)

In setup.py there is:

     if sys.platform == 'linux2':

First of all, it should be:

     if sys.platform.startswith('linux')

(I didn't check if there are other places that use similar code. Please do it yourself.)

If someone tries to build the package without setuptools installed[0], setup.py will download it from the web, and then run... This is of terrible idea from the security perspective. Please patch out the use of ez_setup from setup.py.

In debian/rules, I'd replace "dist-packages" with "*-packages" to ease backporting to Squeeze.

In wader/contrib/modal.py looks like an embedded copy of (part of) python-epsilon. Please don't install it into the binary package, but depend on python-epsilon and use it instead.

Are Python modules provided by wader supposed to be used by other software? If no, then please move them into a private directory. If they are, the package name should be python-wader.

[0] This is not a completely unbelievable scenario, since "dpkg-buildpackage -S" doesn't check build-dependencies.

--
Jakub Wilk