Re: RFS: wmaker (try 2)

Hi Paul,

a new version is up :-)

Comments:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:00:55 -0500, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Rodolfo kix Garcia <kix@kix.es> wrote:
[snip]
General note:
 - You've got a lot of stuff in ./debian/ - I would invite you to
consider creating a few directories to put files that relate to
eachother (theme related stuff, and so forth)

I took the wmaker package from the previous maintainer, and I try to
update it to the current standard-version, dep-3/5,... Some things are
adopted from the previous package.

I have a lot of files in ./debian because this package creates nine or
ten binary packages. The files are *.install, *.symbols, *.docs,...

I moved the theme files, menu files,... to debian/debianfiles. Only one folder, because are not too much files for different folders.

But probably yes, I can move/delete some files:

delete: TODO, nightly_build.sh
move: WMWindowAttributes, debian.tiff.uu, appearance.menu-method,
Debian.theme

I deleted TODO and nigthly_build.sh

You're overriding a lot of stuff. Can you please explain them all?
Some of them look valid...

First, I don't know how to solve these problems.
I try to use "http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/"; to create/update the windowmaker menu's. But Window Maker is an exception
and is not too easy to create the menus. In
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/ch3.html you can find:

Window Maker
   This section is reserved for wmaker as a special case.
   All wmaker specific entries must go here.

For this reason we have these overrides. I try to change some things,
but then the WindowMaker menu system fails :-(

You should consider putting a comment block by each override, and note
exactly why. If lintian's in error, please report a bug (and don't
override!)

I think a little on this. IMO wmaker is an exception, and probably is
easy to continue with the overrides and don't modify lintian.

If this is true (and it might be) - you need to explain why you need
to override, and why modifying lintian would not be a good idea, as a
comment in that file :)

The files *.litian-override are now with comments.

wmaker: menu-item-creates-new-root-section
wmaker: menu-command-not-in-package
wmaker: menu-item-contains-unknown-tag
wmaker: menu-item-needs-tag-has-unknown-value

./debian/debian.tiff.uu
 - You can avoid uuencoding with source format 3 (as you're using)

uuencoded and added. Now in debian/debianfiles and the debian/option/binary file added.

I will try to find more info about it.

./debian/nightly_build.sh
 - what is this, and why do we need it in the archive? :)

deleted

Yes, this file is used in the webpage to create a nighty build :-). Of
course should be removed from the Debian package.

./debian/TODO
 - Consider keeping track of this in the BTS

deleted

Should be removed too. The TODO info don't apply now.

Radical :)

:-)

./debian/copyright
  You say:
    License: public-domain

    but then you go on to say:

     They may be distributed freely and/or modified as long as the original
     Author is mentioned!

I wrote to debian-legal (you are in cc:) and I wrote their comments

in this case, License: attributed

    That's not public domain :)

  Also:
    License: public-domain
    do What The Fuck you want to Public License

Here, License: WTFPL-1 :-)

WTF license!! ;-) I try to select one license, but I found nothing.
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ What should I do?

I'm not sure. I'll pass this off to someone who knows what they're doing :)

  Lastly:
    you have a GPL-2 block without files.

No. Is the License paragraph. Is not correct?

Ah, I see what you did. That's for the bit up on the top.

Done.

I seem to recall that not being right, but I'm not sure :)

./debian/rules
  I've never seen such a large dh-short rules file before.

I can write a book about it. It took a lot of time. Was hard. Probably
is a good idea to review some parts.

I had to do the same a few weeks back. It's a lot of work, but it's
worth it to squash d/rules often :)

I re-wrote this file. I changed many things. less variables.

  Consider some of the following:

    XLOCALE           := --disable-locale
    [snip]
    WMAKER_OPTIONS := $(XLOCALE) $(MODELOCK) $(XINERAMA) \
    [snip]

  You're going to have to modify this file anyway, why not keep a
well-formatted list of the args directly.

The package, in the previous version, had this info. Are "possible"
options, then we select only a few of them:

XINERAMA          := --enable-xinerama
# USERMENU        := --enable-usermenu

XINERAMA is used, USERMENU is not used, but is an option...

I don't have preferences about it. If you think is better put the args
directly, perfect.

Done.

[snip]

Best of luck!
Paul

--
All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq

Thanks!!

Best Regards,