Re: RFS: flex-sdk-4.5

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 23:14, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:
Well, the only data point I have is yui which works fine with 4.5.  I don't know of any other packages in Debian which need flex-sdk yet.  So I would wait to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Also when it does become necessary, the easier way will be to use git branches rather than have seperate sets of files.

Okay.

I don't have the code in front of me right now, but I believe I removed all
the .exe and .bat files in debian/rules.  I understand why you'd remove them
in the .tar.gz, but I thought that for simplicity's sake, removing
everything from the .tar.gz would wait until we were building from source.
Adobe keeps those in their svn repo, unfortunately.  The .a files may be
necessary, because the SDK is able to produce AIR binaries for mobile
devices.  Ideally, those would also be built from source, but in the mean
time, they should not be deleted from the package, IMO.

The bottom line is if the package contains files for which there is no source code it cannot be included in Debian main.  Perhaps the .a files can be split into a seperate (source) package called flex-sdk-nonfree or something.

I see what you mean, but my intent was to get flex-sdk into non-free or contrib first.  When that's finalized, we can undertake the (rather large) task of getting the SDK built from source, after which point it can be moved into main.  In my opinion, there's no point in splitting it up right now, since none of it can currently be built from source.

If, after the SDK is built from source, there are still small pieces of it that can't be built from source, then a flex-sdk-nonfree would make sense, in my opinion.

Thanks,
--Joey