Re: RFS: flex-sdk-4.5

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011, Joey Parrish wrote:

Jaldhar,

I haven't heard back in a while.  Anything wrong with my package or repo
that's holding up an upload?

Sorry, real life got in the way.  A couple of things I noticed.

1. I think I mentioned this before; we should concentrate on 4.5. I don't see any purpose in having multiple versions of the flex sdk in Debian do you?

2. Debian has a utility called git-buildpackage which is a wrapper around dpkg-buildpackage and, as the name suggests, allows building a .deb directly from a git repository. It is not required but it would be nice if flex-sdk could work with it. In order to do so, the debianized source needs to be in the master branch and the upstream source in a branch called upstream. (Actually you can change these but those are the defaults.) Another called pristine-tar allows keeping the upstream tarball within the git repository. I'll go ahead and set this up for you if you like.

3. Rather than lug around all the bits of the upstream source which will never be used in Debian such as .exe and .a files, they should be removed from the .orig.tar.gz (And eventually all other non DFSG-compliant bit too but that will be a work in progress.) Ordinarily we like to keep it as close to what upstream is shipping as possible but this is one of the exceptions to that rule. These changes should be documented in a file called debian/README.source and I suppose in the get-orig-source target of debian/rules.

Other than that I can build usable packages which is good. I will work on some of the issues mentioned above today.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>