Re: RFS: Apper

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "apper".
>
>  * Package name    : apper
>   Version         : 0.7.0-1
>   Upstream Author : Daniel Nicoletti <dantti85-pk@yahoo.com.br>
>  * URL             : http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Apper?content=84745
>  * License         : GPL-2+
>   Section         : kde
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
> apper - KDE package management tool using PackageKit
>  apper-dbg  - Debugging symbols for Apper

I'm not a DD, so I can not sponsor your package. I took a quick look
anyways. I found a few issues:

1) Running lintian on the resulting binary packages built in a clean
sid chroot produces the following error:

E: apper: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath usr/bin/apper
/tmp/buildd/apper-0.7.0/obj-i486-linux-gnu/lib
N:
N:    The binary or shared library sets RPATH. This overrides the normal
N:    library search path, possibly interfering with local policy and causing
N:    problems for multilib, among other issues.
N:
N:    The only time a binary or shared library in a Debian package should set
N:    RPATH is if it is linked to private shared libraries in the same
N:    package. In that case, place those private shared libraries in
N:    /usr/lib/<package>. Libraries used by binaries in other packages should
N:    be placed in /lib or /usr/lib as appropriate, with a proper SONAME, in
N:    which case RPATH is unnecessary.
N:
N:    To fix this problem, look for link lines like:
N:        gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath,/usr/local/lib
N:    or
N:        gcc test.o -o test -R/usr/local/lib
N:    and remove the -Wl,--rpath or -R argument. You can also use the chrpath
N:    utility to remove the RPATH.
N:
N:    Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue for details.
N:
N:    Severity: serious, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: binaries, Type: binary, udeb

2) Less important, but since the manpage is supplied in the debian dir:

I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:18
N:
N:    This manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was
N:    intended. By default, "-" chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by
N:    groff, not as minus signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus
N:    signs (U+002D), this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot
N:    cut and paste options, nor search for them easily. The Debian groff
N:    package currently forces "-" to be interpreted as a minus sign due to
N:    the number of manual pages with this problem, but this is a
N:    Debian-specific modification and hopefully eventually can be removed.
N:
N:    "-" must be escaped ("\-") to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:    intend a hyphen (normally you don't), write it as "\(hy" to emphasise
N:    that fact. See groff(7) and especially groff_char(7) for details, and
N:    also the thread starting with
N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.h
N:    tml
N:
N:    If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:    this tag may indicate a bug in the tool. Some tools convert dashes of
N:    any kind to hyphens. The safe way of converting dashes is to convert
N:    them to "\-".
N:
N:    Because this error can occur very often, Lintian shows only the first 10
N:    occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:    occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run Lintian with the
N:    -d/--debug option.
N:
N:    Refer to /usr/share/doc/groff-base/README.Debian and the groff_char(7)
N:    manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: manpages, Type: binary
N:
I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:19
I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:20
I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:21
I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:22
I: apper: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/apper.1.gz:23

3) And completely optional:

I: apper: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 2610kB 72%
N:
N:    The package has a significant amount of architecture-independent data
N:    (over 4MB, or over 2MB and more than 50% of the package) in /usr/share
N:    but is an architecture-dependent package. This is wasteful of mirror
N:    space and bandwidth since it means distributing multiple copies of this
N:    data, one for each architecture.
N:
N:    If the data in /usr/share is not architecture-independent, this is a
N:    Policy violation that should be fixed by moving the data elsewhere
N:    (usually /usr/lib).
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Developer's Reference section 6.7.5
N:    (Architecture-independent data) for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
N:    Check: huge-usr-share, Type: binary

2)  Also, one nitpick thing I found is that in debian/copyright you
list two copyright holders on the same line, like so:

Copyright: 2008 by Trever Fischer / 2009-2011 by Daniel Nicoletti

According to Dep-5 (which you have in the format filed), it should be like:

Copyright: 2008, Trever Fischer
                2009-2011, Daniel Nicoletti

Hope that helps...

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio