Re: setup packaging project on Alioth?

Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:

> Could someone write a how to on how to setup a packaging project on
> Alioth?

As I understand it, one criterion used by the Alioth admins when
deciding whether a project is accepted on Alioth is that it is already
being worked on by multiple people.

I get the impression that's not the case for your projects, am I wrong?

> I would like to record the history of how I package some projects by
> putting my work in a repository.
[…]
> I usually use svn.

With Subversion, you need to set up a specific server program to run.

You would do well to use one (or more) of the current best Distributed
VCS (DVCS) systems: Bazaar, Git, Mercurial.

Bazaar <URL:http://bazaar.canonical.com/>, in particular, has excellent
support for many different storage systems, including remote SFTP. That
way, you don't need a specific VCS server program; you just need some
online storage space somewhere.

For a Subversion refugee, I recommend Bazaar in particular since it can
operate in a centralised manner when that makes sense, and its command
interface is very familiar to Subversion users.

--
 \         “The double standard that exempts religious activities from |
  `\       almost all standards of accountability should be dismantled |