Re: RFS: conque

* harish badrinath <harishbadrinath@gmail.com>, 2011-08-25, 21:41:
vim-conqueterm - This Vim-Plugin is used to run interactive commands
inside a Vim.

I have followed Debian packaging policy for vim plug ins, to the best of my knowledge. I have checked the deb file with lintian using the command "lintian -IiE --pedantic" and appears to be lintian clean (upstream has no changelog AFAIK).

Please run lintian on *.changes file. That way lintian will check not only binaries, but also the source package (and possibly more).

I have tested the package installation with trivial tests and it seems to work as expected.

To access further information about this package, please visit the
following URL:

 http://mentors.debian.net/package/conque

 dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/conque/conque_2.2-1.dsc

debian/README.Debian:
- The text is oddly wrapped...
- There is a typo: "not enable" -> "not enabled". Since this template appears to be copied over and over from the policy document to various READMEs, it'd nice if the template were reviewed by debian-l10n-english@ people. Would you care to file a bug against src:vim (which contains the policy text)? - "See Section 4 for more info on this." - this sentence was not supposed to be copied to your README. - Contrary to what the README says, the add-on *is* enabled by default. This might be due to some packaging bugs.

VERSION, debian/VERSION (and debian/docs):
- What are these files for?

conque.doc-base:
- This is file not used during build, it refers to files that don't exist...

debian/conqueterm.1:
- What is the manual page for? Section 1 is for "executable programs or shell commands" but the binary package doesn't ship anything like that. I'd expect help for the add-on to be available via the vim's :help command, not in a oddly-formatted manual page...

debian/control:
- Use "debhelper (>= 8)" rather than "debhelper (>= 8.0.0)".
- What is build-dependency on sharutils for?
- The package could be "Architecture: all". Similarly, you can remove ${shlib:Depends} from Depends. - Your vim dependency ("vim | gvim") is incorrect. In fact the addon doesn't work with vim.basic, provided by package "vim". The package needs a vim that is linked with libpython. We have quite a few such vims, but fortunately all of them provide virtual package "vim-python". - I'd omit "Plugin is only usable if you have vim-gtk (or vim-python) installed" from package description. This is what we have Depends for.
- Please have your description reviewed by debian-l10n-english@.

debian/copyright:
- The file doesn't include the most important part: the actual upstream license! - According to the DEP-5 specifications, format URI should be versioned, while yours is not. - This is of course personal choice, but I would recommend you not to use a more restrictive license for Debian packaging than the upstream uses.

(More review later...)

--
Jakub Wilk