Re: Best practice for changelog file

Le Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 02:18:40PM +0400, Vsevolod Velichko a écrit :

> I'm trying to build package for two debian versions: squeeze and
> lenny. Build process doesn't require any source or packaging
> modifications, so I can just "dpkg-buildpackage" or "debuild" on both
> lenny and squeeze to obtain the deb-file. The problem is that in this
> case I have the same version for both systems, so I can't put them in
> the same repository. Is there any well-known way to take a changelog
> version record (e.g. "1.1.0-5") and produce deb with debian-specific
> package version (e.g. "1.1.0-5+squeeze1") ?

Dear Vsevolod,

you can probably adopt a similar strategy as for the Debian backports:

  Append "~bpo${debian_release}+${build_int}" to the version number, e.g.
  "1.2.3-4" now becomes "1.2.3-4~bpo60+1", or for native packages, "1.2.3"
  becomes "1.2.3~bpo60+1"

  http://backports-master.debian.org/Contribute/#index5h3

This way, the package built on a more recent suite will always have a higher
version.

Of course, keeping ‘bpo’ in the version number will be confusing, so it would
be better to replace it something else, ideally that sorts lower.  The --local
option of dch may help you to automate the task.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan