Re: Depends on -dev package

A number of responses to my question seem to be confusing
Debian Policy 4.2 which refers to "Build-depends:" that is packages
necessary to build the package and the Debian Library Packaging guide
section 6.2 which refers to the "Depends:" dependancies of the -dev packages
that is the packages that the -dev package needs to work. A person installing
a -dev package is not necessarily building packages and does not necessarily
have build-essential installed. The text of 6.2 explicitly refers to libc-dev
which everyone knows is in build essential.

Please reconsider your answers in that light. Thank You.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J