Re: DEP-5 requirements (was: Re: RFS: pygtkplot)

Le Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:12:00PM +0200, Arno Töll a écrit :

> DEP-5 is a draft for now, but may end up as a official policy at some
> point. As Vincent says, it is widely used for all newly introduced
> packages and mandatory for some sponsors.

Dear Arno and everybody,

DEP 5 will be distributed in the debian-policy package (see #609160), but there
is not plan of making it part of the Policy, in the sense of being mandatory or
strongly recommended.  The Policy, and the licenses themselves, set some
requirements on how to document copyrights and licenses in Debian packages, and
DEP 5 provides a format to do this in a machine-readable way.

Also, there is another player in the field, the SPDX format (http://spdx.org/),
that would be equally good for debian/copyright, although given its fine
granularity, I do not expect to see it used often in Debian packages when it is
not used upstream.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy