Re: Depends on -dev package

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:06:35 PM Fernando Lemos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Paul Elliott
>
> <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:
> > I quote from Debian Library Packaging guide
> >
> >> 2. -DEV package dependencies
> >>
> >> The -DEV package would usually declare Depends: relationship on all -DEV
> >> packages for libraries that the library package directly depends upon,
> >> with the specific SONAME version that the library package is linked
> >> against. This includes libc-dev. [5]
> >
> > Does this mean that if my library has an include reference
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > in one of its .c or .h files, then my -dev package must have a depends
> > line like this in its debian/control file:
> > Depends: OTHER-STUFF, libc6-dev
> >
> > If that is the case, how come the the debian/control file
> > for libtar_1.2.11-6 does not list such a dependancy?
> > it includes <stdio.h>.
>
> You don't need to list explicity build-depend on anything already
> provided by build-essential. According to the policy[1]:
>
> Build-dependencies on "build-essential" binary packages can be omitted.
>
> There's even a lintian check for that. It's probably a bad idea to
> build depend on libc6-dev directly.

Why then would they explicitly mention that the policy includes libc-dev?
> >> against. This includes libc-dev. [5]
Surely they knew that libc-dev was in build-essential? I don't understand
why they wrote what they did?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J