Re: Depends on -dev package

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Paul Elliott
<pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:

> I quote from Debian Library Packaging guide
>> 2. -DEV package dependencies
>>
>> The -DEV package would usually declare Depends: relationship on all -DEV
>> packages for libraries that the library package directly depends upon,
>> with the specific SONAME version that the library package is linked
>> against. This includes libc-dev. [5]
>
> Does this mean that if my library has an include reference
> #include <stdio.h>
> in one of its .c or .h files, then my -dev package must have a depends line
> like this in its debian/control file:
> Depends: OTHER-STUFF, libc6-dev
>
> If that is the case, how come the the debian/control file
> for libtar_1.2.11-6 does not list such a dependancy?
> it includes <stdio.h>.

You don't need to list explicity build-depend on anything already
provided by build-essential. According to the policy[1]:

Build-dependencies on "build-essential" binary packages can be omitted.

There's even a lintian check for that. It's probably a bad idea to
build depend on libc6-dev directly.

[1]: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-sourcebinarydeps

Regards,