Re: Adding symbols files to the tango package.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Indeed symbol ordering may vary, but also there is no reason for dpkg-gensymbols
> to guarantee a particular ordering.

Well, dpkg-gensymbols does sort the symbols files. Precisely so that
diff are meaningful. Otherwise they would be useless.

Code extract:
        foreach my $sym (sort { $a->get_symboltempl() cmp
                                $b->get_symboltempl() } @symbols) {

What this means is that the symbols files provided by the package is not
properly sorted...

That said the generated diff should not always be applied as is. In many
cases if you have used tags and patterns in your symbols files, adding a
new symbol requires some "post-processing" to make it fit with the way the
symbols file is managed.

For example deactivating a symbol on a specific architecture requires fiddling
with an arch tag rather than removing the symbol...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)