Re: Debhelper doesn't know the ‘build-stamp’ target, but Lintian recommends it

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 08:23:42AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Hi Ben,

[…]

> > Should Lintian's recommendation be changed?
>
> Quite possibly, I'm sure the lintian maintainers would be happy to
> have improved help text. I didn't write it with dh in mind

Okay. (Thanks for writing it.)

If you were to write it with ‘dh’ in mind, what would be the recommended
set of explicit targets?

> The main problems with
>    build-arch: build
>    build-indep: build

I'm not sure who suggested that; it doesn't seem to be in this thread.

> since dh works with build-arch and build-indep automatically since
> 8.1.0

Ah, thank you. I now need to increase the ‘debhelper’ dependency and
‘compat’ level to correctly rely on its support for those targets.

> and since 8.9.0 with v9 compatibility mode, dh supports proper
> overriding of sequences with make targets. But unless you're doing
> something really different, you shouldn't need to specify any build
> rules at all

Both of those are rather too much magic. One of the great benefits of
using debhelper( as opposed to CDBS) is that one can look at a
‘debian/rules’ file without specific knowledge about debhelper, and see
at least what commands will be run when.

So, if Lintian is going to recommend these targets, what text would make
it a suitable recommendation for both no-helper and ‘debhelper’ rules
styles?

--
 \      “Every valuable human being must be a radical and a rebel, for |
  `\      what he must aim at is to make things better than they are.” |