Re: RFS: lebiniou, lebiniou-data

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 05:54:49PM +0200, Etienne Millon wrote:
> A few extra remarks from a non-DD :
>
> debian/control
> --------------
>
>   - The VCS-* fields should be relative to the debian packaging, not
>     the upstream repository. From what I've seen, this source package
>     has been generated from the upstream "debian/" subdirectory. This
>     is misleading because you can't easily export a tarball and use it
>     as a .orig file.

Thanks for pointing this out. The problem generally is that updating the
debian package otherwise would demand for a new upstream release if this is
not split apart. That's usually not what you want.

Therefore please only make a Debian-native (upstream=Debian, version without
-number suffix) package for stuff that is exclusively targetted at Debian
and can receive new releases anytime the Debian version asks for it.

>     As you are the upstream author, I suggest that you use a single
>     source package to build these two binary packages (one .dsc, two
>     .debs). That should ease maintenance, including the following
>     point.

Sounds good to me.

>   - The dependency against lebiniou-data is not versioned. That means
>     that lebiniou is meant to be usable with any version of
>     lebiniou-data. In such a case I think you need to specify exactly
>     one version. With a single source package, you could depend on
>     lebinou-data (= ${source:Version}).

${binary:Version} sounds even better to me for this usecase.

--
Best regards,
Kilian