Re: Stripping non-free/unnecessary files out of orig.tar.gz

Den 12. juni 2011 19:13, skrev Anton Martchukov:
> In my package (opencpn) there are couple of binary files
> without source code/with unfree license that is required
> only for OS X and Windows builds (those are some dlls and
> redistributable files).
>
> Upstream does like to keep them in original tarball and in
> the git version control system and I obviously get lintian
> warning about them.
>
> What is the proper way to handle this?

I think it would be best practice to create a get-orig-source rule in
debian/rules (as per Policy 4.9) which creates a tarball with the
non-free files removed. So something like your script would probably go
into that rule.

As for building, well, ideally the removed stuff shouldn't be in your
build tree either... you could probably just unpack the new orig tarball
(and copy over the debian/ files) to get a clean tree, if you need to.
For new upstream releases, if you use get-orig-source along with uupdate
(or a VCS), this should then happen automatically.