Re: what if upstream provides debian build directory

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 07:46:46PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 08:21:44PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > What is Debian's policy, if upstream provides its own debian directory
> > or package build procedure?
> [...]
> > Of course I checked Debian's Policy Manual, but AFAICS this subject
> > has been successfully ignored by now. Any helpful comment would be
> > highly appreciated.
>
> Not ignored at all... maintainers who find an upstream debian
> directory getting in the way (and who are unable to successfully
> convince upstream of the inconvenience) usually either repackage the
> upstream source to remove it, or use v3 packaging format which
> clears and replaces it with the contents of the maintainer's files
> when unpacking.

While the first option may be more elegant the second one may resemble more the
usage pattern of a Debian user trying to build a new Debian package version
(download the new source and then use the diff or tar containing the debian
directory on top of it).