Re: Parsing output = derivative work? (was: RFS: gnetworktester)

--nextPart2958378.qgascxSZ95

On Sunday 06 March 2011 11:04:35 W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> (out of curiosity moved to debian-legal)
>=20
> On 2011-03-05 23:46, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> > gnetworktester seems to parse the output of nmap and nmap upstream at
> > http://insecure.org/nmap/data/COPYING gives me the impression that
> > gnetworktester would thus be "derivative work".
>=20
> IANAL, but since when parsing the output of another program
> constitutes a derivative work? Indeed, the forementioned file
> says, a program would be a derivate in the authors
> interpretation of the GPL, if it
>=20
> """
>  o Executes Nmap and parses the results (as opposed to typical shell or
>    execution-menu apps, which simply display raw Nmap output and so are
>    not derivative works.)
>  o Integrates/includes/aggregates Nmap into a proprietary executable
>    installer, such as those produced by InstallShield.
>  o Links to a library or executes a program that does any of the above
> """
>=20
> What do the legal experts think about this, especially the
> parsing aspect?

This may fall outside of the Debian maintainer's role as a packager but you=
=20
could take a look at how OpenVAS does this since we (the OpenVAS project)=20
worked hard with Fyodor and the nmap folk to get something both we and they=
=20
feel comfortable with.  I can probably dig out some references from our and=
=20
their mailing lists too if necessary.

Tim
=2D-=20