Re: Struggling to remove old config files.

Please keep the discussion on debian-mentors.

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> The reason I put it in nginx-common was because nginx-{full,light,extras} are
> interchangeable packages. Someone could remove one and add another. An example
> would be the upgrade made them install nginx-full but they noticed and decided
> to try nginx-light.

And? Purging a package removes the configuration files. So that's ok.

If some configuration files are obsoleted in the process of upgrading foo
v1 to foo v2, then foo must remove those conffiles on upgrade.  And it's
not the job of foo-common.

You're putting the configuration files in nginx-common precisely because
they are now shared between the various packages so that you always use
the same conffile whatever the current variant, right?

> They would have /etc/logrotate.d/nginx-{full,light}. If they upgrade
> nginx-light they would have one conf file removed, but not the other.

Right, but it's not a big deal. They would be removed by dpkg --purge
nginx-full.

If you really want to keep it in nginx-common, you have to supply
an empty version parameter so that it's always tried and not only during
upgrade.

dpkg-maintscript-helper rm_conffile /etc/logrotate.d/nginx-full "" nginx-full -- "$@"

Cheers,
--