Conflicts or Breaks when there is no version number?

Hi,

I came across this issue messing with relationships between packages,
more specifically between connman and network-manager, or between
ofono and modemmanager.

Turns out that ofono/modemmanager or network-manager/connman can't be
installed at the same time, because each will interfere with the
others' access to serial ports, network devices, etc.

For example, I've tried setting for ofono:

Breaks: modemmanager

However this yields a lintian warning due to the lack of version
numbers attached to the Breaks line. Note that I don't expect that
there would ever be one, I feel these packages are likely to remain in
conflict. However, the packages only really cause issues when they are
both *running* at the same time.

Setting:

Conflicts: modemmanager

Gives no lintian warning, but doesn't quite feel right. Debian Policy
(section 7.3 and 7.4) states that most Conflicts should be Breaks due
to the lower restrictions it places for relationships between
packages. Policy also states:

"[Conflicts should be used] [...] in other cases where one must
prevent simultaneous installation of two packages for reasons that are
ongoing (not fixed in a later version of one of the packages)"

I'm just trying to get a good understanding of this "special" case,
basically, whether it would be best here to keep a Conflicts line
despite the stricter requirements, or Breaks to simplify
installs/removal/upgrades and simply override the warning.

Regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl@gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93