RE: RFS: Cool Reader

Hello Rogério,

I've already updated package (fixed issues suggested by Anton Gladky)

========== Start quote ==============
I've fixed lintinan pedantic findings, changed target to unstable, wrote
machine-readable copyright.

- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cr3/cr3_3.0.43-12.dsc

> * code compilation complains about warnings, some of them can be
serious (it is up to you)
I've checked warnings and found nothing serious. Will clean them up later.

I have some questions.
Some parts of source package are really not used for debian build (e.g.
wxWidgets frontend, Android frontend, snapshots of zlib, libjpeg, libpng,
libfreetype libraries).
Is it ok to leave them in source package?
Should I add licensing details to debian/copyright for zlib, libjpeg,
libpng, libfreetype libraries? (not used in debian build)
========== End quote ==============

========== Start quote ==============
    * Formats: epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr formats
supported, can read books directly from zip archives
    * Most complete FB2 format support: styles, tables, footnotes
    * Styles can be customized in wide range using external CSS (subset of
CSS2 and CSS3)
    * Hyphenation dictionaries (from AlReader or FBReader)
    * Pages or scroll view
    * Table of contents
    * Text search
    * Recent books list
    * Bookmarks (including comments or corrections for text range)
    * Automatic reformatting of .txt files (autodetect headings etc.)
    * Customizable look & feel, font face/size/weight, colors for text and
background, images for backgrounds (tiled or stretched)
    * Font kerning, anti-aliasing
    * Optional floating punctuation on right text bound for justified text
(punctuation and hyphenation signs moved outside right text block bound, for
better visual alignment)
    * Formatted book is swapped/cached to file, and can be reopened very
fast. Also, this feature allows to open books larger than available RAM
size.

CoolReader can be considered as competitor of FBReader.
Provides features missing in FBReader: tables, footnotes, CSS styles.

Screenshots are available on http://www.coolreader.org/
========== End quote ==============

> You should state the version of the GPL that you are using.
It uses GPL-2. Should I repost RFS? Wouldn't it be considered as spam/flood?

> As another point that the potential sponsors would, perhaps,
> want to know is the
> language in which the program was written,
> because many have restrictions to some languages.

> A quick glance at the git repository that you informed shows
> that it is written
> in C++.

Yes, it's written in C++.
Main part is XML/CSS rendering engine, CREngine, used by different
frontends.

There are Qt and wxWidgets frontends for desktop.
(Qt version is under development, wxWidgets is not supported).

Also, there is GUI for e-ink based devices (actually used in Hanlin
V3/V5/V3+ devices, and in Azbooka (aka Hanvon n516) - OpenInkpot.
It uses its own GUI toolkit, and requires only simple wrapper for screen and
keyboard access (currently, supports nanoX and xcb backends).

There is also Android port (uses CRengine as JNI library, and frontend
written in Java for Android).

For Symbian smartphones there is SmartReader - port of coolreader.

I'll try to fix cppcheck findings and compilation warnings.

Once it's done, should I repost RFS for the package?

Best regards,
    Vadim