Re: RFS: downtimed

On 08.02.2011 18:01, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Mats,
>
> On Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/downtimed/downtimed_0.4-1.dsc
> - "# Do we want to go? " is strange english (says the German..)
> in /etc/defaul/downtimed, I would probably just shorten the whole line to '#
> Set to "Yes" or "yes" or not.'  :-)

I don't like those disable-service-via-etc-default files at all.

For one, there is absolutely no consistency, every package using that mechanism,
names it differently.

And there is already an interface to disable sysv init scripts from starting
during boot, which is
update-rc.d <service> disable

Third, if you disable a service via /etc/default/foo, it also makes it
impossible to start the script manually via /etc/init.d/foo.

So, just remove that option, it even makes your init script simpler, which is a
good thing.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?