Re: DEP5 and multiple copyrights for same file

"Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)" <sgevatter@ubuntu.cat> writes:
> 2011/1/20 Craig Small <csmall@debian.org>:

>>> License: GPL-2
>>>  See /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.

>> I believe it needs the full GPL-2 excerpt just like a normal copyright
>> file has got.

> I've had several packages with license text like this accepted.

> Is there some reason to include the GPL header, other than it being
> common practice?

|   1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
| source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
| conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
| copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
| notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
| and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
| along with the Program.

The copy of the GPL-2 that we distribute in common-licenses may cover the
disclaimer of warranty part and does cover the copy of the license part,
but it doesn't cover the copyright notice and, to this specific point,
"all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any
warranty."

You should copy the notice from the source file into the debian/copyright
file to be sure of complying with that point of the GPL.  (As always with
stuff like this, it's unlikely that anyone would actually sue over this
sort of technical fiddly license point.)

I suppose one could argue that "keeping intact" doesn't require
duplicating in debian/copyright but just not removing the notice from the
source code, but it's easy enough to copy the GPL notice, and I think
better safe than sorry.