Re: common source package for use in Debian and Ubuntu

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Ok, but how should I manage the last changelog entry (in time frame and
> in handling)?
>
> Debian should have e.g:
>    lilo (1:23.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
> and then Ubuntu should have e.g:
>    lilo (1:23.1-1ubuntu1) natty; urgency=low
>
>    lilo (1:23.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
> and the last Ubuntu changelog usually have some ubuntu specific bug fix
> entries. Or should I write the ubuntu bugfixes into the Debian part of
> changelog?

Packages can be synced into Ubuntu without having any Ubuntu-specific
changelog. Look for example:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/s/smartmontools/smartmontools_5.39.1+svn3124-2/changelog

It's a normal Debian changelog, yet it's part of Ubuntu.

So use your changelog like usual and yes you should put Ubuntu bugfixes
and Debian bugfixes in the same changelog entry. Don't create fake Ubuntu
entries.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer