Re: RFS: free42

* Jean Schurger <jean@schurger.org> [110106 15:40]:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "free42".

Looking at debian/changelog, that is not quite helpful:

| free42 (1.4.66-1) unstable; urgency=low
|
|  * Upstream release
|  * Closes: #606358
|
| -- Jean Schurger <jean@schurger.org>  Wed, 08 Dec 2010 12:38:31 -0500

The Closes has no reference to anything (so one could guess that it is the ITP
that is closed). And what is "Upstream release" as changelog for the very first
version supposed to tell me?

Next debian/control:

| Source: free42
| Section: misc
| Homepage: http://thomasokken.com/free42/
| Maintainer: Jean Schurger <jean@schurger.org>
| Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.50), libxmu-dev, libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.10.3)
| Standards-Version: 3.9.1
|
| Package: free42
| Architecture: any
| Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}, debconf | debconf-2.0
|  Free42 is a re-implementation of the HP-42S calculator and the HP-82240
|  printer. It is a complete rewrite, and doesn't use any HP code.
|  You do not need an HP-42S ROM image in order to use it,
|  yet it is fully HP-42S compatible.
|  .

There is no need for an empty line at the end, so you can remove it
(the one with the dot).
I guess section otherosfs would be better than misc, as most other emulators
are there.

The "It is a complete rewrite, and doesn't use any HP code." is a bit strange
to be in a description. (If it is not free software, it does not belong into
Debian. If it is free software, the copyright holder is not that important).

Why is this thing written without - in the short and with - in the long
description? I also think " calculator" could be added to the short description
and the long description be a bit more verbose what this thing is it emulates
might be helpfull.

Your debian/copyright file only lists
Thomas Okken and you, but as simple grep -i -r copyright . already gives:

Copyright _ 2005, Apple Computer, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright 2005 D. Jeff Dionne
Copyright (C) 1997 Rick Huebner
Copyright (C) 1993 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1998 John D. Polstra.
Copyright (c) 2004-2005 Greg Parker.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2001 David E. O'Brien
Copyright (c) 2005-2009 voidware ltd.
Copyright Base2 Corporation 2009
Copyright (C) 1997 Rick Huebner

Some of which seems to even be compiled and explicitly have BSD like licenses
requiring to include their copyright statement (which your binary packages do not).

I've not looked at the actual packaging or the build process.

	Bernhard R. Link