libfoo.so.X symlink not created at build time

Hi *,

I'm maintaining a library which new upstream version is creating at build time
*.la, *.so (development symlink), and the library itself with the form
libfoo-x.y.z.so but not their symlinks that match their SONAME (I was
expecting something like libfoo.so.X).

My question is if it'd be safe to just create those "missing" symlinks using a
libfoo.links file in the debian packaging part, or should I look for a different
solution. I'd appreciate if someone could help me to give a proper way of
solving this doubt that I have.

Best regads,
--
Muammar El Khatib.