Re: RFS: failmalloc - Memory allocation failure crash-test tool (2nd try)

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 02:21:16PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> I thinking that devel might be a better section than utils. Particularly
> the devel section covers "Development utilities" according to [1].

Agreed.

> Any particular reason for Build-Depending on autotools-dev? It does not
> appear to be required for the actual build? Likewise you do not need
> debhelper >= 7.0.50~ since you do not have any override targets.

autotools-dev is needed, since it updates the config.{guess,sub} files
during build (otherwise lintian would complain with the error
ancient-autotools-helper-file).

debhelper 7.0.50~ is indeed not needed.

> Regarding the library <-> application split; I am not entirely sure what
> is best. The best "similar" case I can think of would probably be
> fakeroot, which installs its helper library in /usr/lib/libfakeroot/ and
> then does without the lib-package. I also noticed that libeatmydata does
> the same.
>   Admittedly it is far less likely to make sense to compile your
> application directly against one of those libraries. Nevertheless I
> doubt a lot of developers would link the production releases against
> this library either.

I was just following what upstream says ("This software generates a shared
library which can be loaded by LD_PRELOAD or linked at compilation time.").
The helper script was written mostly by me for this package, so probably
others that have used the library before may want to not use it (so that
there is no need to install its package). The same applies for the library's
direct linkage: if someone prefers to use it that way (and it is supported
upstream), who am I to judge? :)

Anyway, I updated the package (both on mentors.debian.net and on git) with
the other changes you suggested. Thank you for the help.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'