Re: Renaming multiple packages in a single control file

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 01:21:20AM +0100, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> Hello
> With a couple of other folks following ITP #424905, I am trying to
> get a newer version of MAME, the arcade emulator in debian. We have
> now a working package and I am trying to understand how to properly
> create virtual package since we have to deal with a rename in
> upstream ( The Unix Port sdlmame merged with the Windows-only mame )

[snip]

> B) It is possible to test the upgrade process without an
> apt-repository ? As I have the packages locally on my machine, I
> can't use aptitude to handle the conflicts.

You could use reprepro with a simple conf/distributions file, something
like this:

Origin: Ringlet
Codename: unstable
Components: main
Architectures: i386 kfreebsd-i386 source
SignWith: 2527DF13
Contents:

...and then add a file:// repository to /etc/apt/sources.list.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the original Sanskrit.