Renaming multiple packages in a single control file

Hello
With a couple of other folks following ITP #424905, I am trying to get a newer version of MAME, the arcade emulator in debian. We have now a working package and I am trying to understand how to properly create virtual package since we have to deal with a rename in upstream ( The Unix Port sdlmame merged with the Windows-only mame )

The old debian package builds from the source package the following binaries:

xmame-common
xmame-tools
xmess-common
xmame-x
xmame-gl
xmame-svga
xmame-sdl
xmess-x
xmess-sdl

Our package builds the following binaries:
mame
mame-tools

I have read http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package but how do I apply it to rename different packages ?

A) Should I create a virtual package for each old binary package like
Package: xmame-sdl
Depends: mame

Package: xmame-svga
Depends: mame

Package: xmame-x
Depends: mame

B) It is possible to test the upgrade process without an apt-repository ? As I have the packages locally on my machine, I can't use aptitude to handle the conflicts.

Thanks

Manu