dpkg-buildflags [Was: Re: RFS: libaosd (updated package)]

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 06:54:12PM +0300, Eugene Paskevich wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:40:25 +0300, Eugene Paskevich
> <eugene@raptor.kiev.ua> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 17:44:06 +0300, Sven Hoexter
> ><sven@timegate.de> wrote:
> >
> >>I think you can move the LDFLAGS setting out of the override target
> >>and set something like
> >>LDFLAGS += -Wl,-z,defs,--as-needed,--no-undefined
> >>above the %: target and remove the override targets altogether.
> >
> >Actually it seems that debian/rules could be cut down to:
> >
> >#!/usr/bin/make -f
> >
> ># Uncomment this to turn on verbose mode.
> >#export DH_VERBOSE=1
> >
> >CFLAGS = -g
> >
> >ifneq (,$(findstring noopt,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> >         CFLAGS += -O0
> >else
> >         CFLAGS += -O2
> >endif
> >
> >LDFLAGS = -Wl,-z,defs,--as-needed,--no-undefined
> >
> >%:
> >         dh $@
> >

> >Could you please confirm this is OK?
> >I didn't notice any problems myself with this debian/rules.
>
> Or even to this:
>
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
>
> # Uncomment this to turn on verbose mode.
> #export DH_VERBOSE=1
>
> LDFLAGS += -Wl,-z,defs,--as-needed,--no-undefined
>
> %:
>         dh $@
>

> For as far as I can see, DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS are respected even w/o
> debian/rules support.

FWIW, for future versions of the package you might want to take a look
at the dpkg-buildflags utility introduced in dpkg-dev 1.15.7 and use it
to obtain the default values for CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, FFLAGS, and LDFLAGS -
or, of course, only of those variables you actually need ;)  You might
take a quick look at e.g. the confget-1.02-3 package from testing/unstable
for an example of using dpkg-buildflags.  The benefit you get is that
your package is always built with the same combination of flags regardless
of whether the build is done via pbuilder, debuild, dpkg-buildpackage, or
plain old "./debian/rules binary" (or even "debian/rules build").

Of course, this would bring in a build dependency on dpkg-dev >= 1.15.7,
which might cause problems if your package is backported, but the person
doing the backport should figure out how to set CFLAGS, etc easily enough :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org