Working with upstream-developed debian packaging

Hi all,

I recently developed an interest in Code::Blocks, which is not currently
in Debian, and the current ITP has shown no real activity for over a year.
However, an upstream developer does provide unofficial debian packages,
and I would like to polish them and upload to Debian, acting as a
sponsor rather than co-maintainer.

So, the problem is that currently the debian packaging lives in the same
subversion repository as upstream development, with the associated
problems (native package, or in a best case scenario a very dirty diff;
entanglement of upstream development with debian packaging development).

If upstream were using git, the solution would be pretty simple, just
branch and merge from upstream as required (as done by many packagers in
debian). However, subversion is in use, and last time I tried a merge in
svn it was a complete disaster, so I'm not recommending that strategy.
What workflows could be used, to avoid a "fork"?

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler