Re: How to Deal with files created dynamically

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:03:42AM -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Chris Baines <cbaines8@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Mentors,
> >
> > I am looking at creating packages that involve programs that create
> > caches while running of images or other files. But I am a bit stumped at
> > what to do with the files they create, both where they are meant to go
> > and with what permissions.
>
> one of these two, I would wager:
>
> /var/cache/
> /var/lib

Scratch /var/lib from that list.  If the data can be recreated from another
source, then it's cache data and should *not* live in /var/lib.

> As for the permissions
>
> root:root 644

If the files are created by root-owned processes, sure.  It kinda smells
like this is going to be done by a user-run process, which means you won't
be able to apply that ownership.  You will probably have to revert to
per-user data stored in the homedir, unless you want to start stuffing
around with suid wrappers or some such.

- Matt