Re: RFS: tivion (updated package)

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Angel Guzman Maeso <shakaran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for delay, I have exams that days.
>
> 2010/5/29 Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
>>
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Angel Guzman Maeso <shakaran@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> I'm unable to unpack it:
>> After fixing the .dsc and unpacking it, here is a review:
>>

> I did gpg --send-keys 1DEEE63E So now it is fixed.

The problem has nothing to do with the gpg warning. The issue is that
the orig.tar.gz is a different size to the size mentioned in the .dsc
file. And the problem is still present.

>> debian/dirs shouldn't be needed since the upstream build/install
>> system should create them.
>
> If I remove debian/dirs it fails with:
> dh_installdirs
> # Add here commands to install the package into debian/tivion.
> #/usr/bin/make
> DESTDIR=/home/shakaran/sandbox/tmp/debian/tivion-0.0.4/debian/tivion install
> # Clean the workspace
> rm -f src/*.pyc
> ## Installing the executable
> mkdir -p /home/shakaran/sandbox/tmp/debian/tivion-0.0.4/debian/tivion
> cp src/tivion.py
> /home/shakaran/sandbox/tmp/debian/tivion-0.0.4/debian/tivion/usr/share/tivion/tivion.py
> cp: cannot create regular file
> `/home/shakaran/sandbox/tmp/debian/tivion-0.0.4/debian/tivion/usr/share/tivion/tivion.py':
> No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
> status 2
> So I maintain the file if you dont have a workaround.

The upstream build system should create the directories and install
the files, not the Debian package. The Debian packaing should be a
thin wrapper around the upstream build system.

>> Please move the manual page upstream and have setup.py install it. The
>> comments in it can probably be removed too.
>
> I dont understand this. Did you mean move tivion.1 file? where? Also I dont
> understand "have setup.py install it", Did you mean that I need put some
> lines on setup.py for install the tivion.1 file?
> What comments I should remove? on setup.py or tivion.1?

setup.py is the upstream build/install system. It should install the
manual page, otherwise whe building/installing on Gentoo, Fedora etc
there will be no manual page. The manual page should be included in
the upstream tar.gz so that it can be installed by setup.py.

> It is a large history. I made a setup.py but then I modify for Fedora, then
> I modify for install on windows. All in a file was a complex history. Then I
> split some code to setup2.py (only for windows)...and then I forget remove
> this file for generate the .deb and dont include for tar.gz version. I
> remove totally the setu2.py file.

Confusing.

>> Why do you need debian/source/include-binaries? Normally
>> images/translations are part of the upstream orig.tar.gz tarball and
>> don't need to be included in the debian.tar.gz.
>
> If I remove the file, it fails with many error like that:
> dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
> tivion-0.0.4/src/data/img/tivion.ico: binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: error: add src/data/img/tivion.ico in
> debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in
> the debian tarball

Confusing.

>> src/countries.py should be replaced by depending on and using iso-codes.
>
> I already use iso-codes:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

>> The desktop file should not use an absolute path to the icon, instead
>> install the icon into the icons/pixmaps directories as per the
>> relevant freedesktop standards and refer to it by its name without the
>> extension.
>
> Changed to /usr/share/pixmaps/

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

>> dpkg-gencontrol warnings:
>>
>> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package tivion: unknown
>> substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
>> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package tivion: unknown
>> substitution variable ${python:Depends}
>> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: package tivion: unknown substitution
>> variable ${python:Versions}
>
> Do I need remove it or changed?

For ${shlibs:Depends}, please read the manual pages of dh_shlibdeps,
dpkg-shlibdeps, dh_makeshlibs and dpkg-gensymbols. Once you have done
that you will realise that ${shlibs:Depends} is not relevant for
packages written in pure Python.

For the python ones, you need to look at the Debian python policy.
Probably you are missing dh_pysupport or dh_pycentral.

> All this warning I think that is for include-binaries, but if I removed it,
> it fails (dont warnings, but fail)

I can't see what the problem is exactly since I don't have a clue how
you are building your source package. The normal way (debuild -S)
never produces such errors.

--
bye,
pabs