Re: RFC: Using git/collab-maint/PET for debian-mentors.

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

>> All of these notes are removed before the upload so they do not show up
>> in the released packages.
>>
>> I think this is a very good method to communicate with other team
>> members about the current state of packages.

This works brilliantly, btw, and I've used it in other packaging teams.
Unlike e-mail, the notes don't get lost even if the issue isn't addressed
for several months.

> I don't see the benefit of overloading the ‘debian/changelog’ file for
> this. Wouldn't it be better to keep the purpose of that file as is, and
> use a separate file (perhaps ‘debian/TODO’) for this separate purpose of
> intra-team-only communication?

debian/TODO doesn't have to be modified for an upload, so it's easy to
miss notes there.  debian/changelog is used for things that have to be
fixed before the next upload, and since debian/changelog has to be
modified to *do* the upload (to change UNRELEASED to unstable or
experimental), this method ensures that no one misses the notes.

You could do something complicated involving failing the build if there
was something in debian/TODO, but just using debian/changelog is nice and
simple and already works.