Re: A lot of pending packages

2010/6/11 Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+debian@ortolo.eu>:
> * dokuwiki, a PHP-based wiki, that I co-maintain with a DD that has
>  almost no time to sponsor me and suggested me to find another sponsor:
>  such a package (PHP, web application) seems to interest nobody.

Which should not really come as a surprise. First of all, not many
people actually use packaged php applications. According to popcon,
drupal6 has only 444 installations, with only 13 'recent' users[1].
The number will be an underestimation as many servers won't have
popcon installed, but still...

Not many webapplications have an upstream which supports legacy
versions, which means that it is up to the sponsor/maintainer to do
so. While the same is true for many packages in debian, the security
consequenses are usually more severe for a web app than for most
desktop applications.

If packages have a high chance of being hardly installed (because most
people use upstream releases and not the debian packages, which
happens a lot for php programs) and require a lot of work to support,
it should be carefully considered whether we really want them in
debian.

[1]http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=drupal6