Re: RFS: 'snap2' rsync-based backup program with GUI

On Sa, 12 Jun 2010, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Quite not!!! It is even written in many places that if the upstram ships a debian folder in its tar.gz, we should get in touch and at least ask that it is renamed as debian-upstream or something similar. If you do not trust what I say, go read the policy, new maint manual and such.

Where please???

Please do not state things without reference.
I just read skipped the policy without finding *any* statement on first
sight dealing wiht the existence of debian subdir in the upstream sources.

No I don't trust people stating "it is like taht and that..." unless proof
is given otherwise.

And newmaint is *NOT* a policy document. I said clearly that it is
recommendable to separate the two, but I didn't state that it is
a must.

> > OTOH, it is often recommended that upstream developer and Debian
> > packager are different, and keep the files separately, but it is
> > by far not a must!
>
> IT IS a must that the debian folder is NOT in the orig.tar.gz, even if upstream is also the packager. What you are describing here is what we call a debian native package, which is really limited to very specific cases.

Please provide pointers instead of vague statements like "consult the policy"

Best wishes

Norbert
LARGOWARD (n.)
Motorists' name for the kind of pedestrian who stands beside a main
road and waves on the traffic, as if it's their right of way.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff