Re: RFS: trimage

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:44:01PM +0200, Kilian Valkhof wrote:
> Nick Leverton wrote:
> > Have you checked that your upstream tarball is named correctly ?
> >
> Thanks, I now have that, lintian gives me an "empty-debian-diff" error.
> Because, well, I wrote this app and am packaging it, there is nothing to
> diff with. What is the argument to not make a native package, by the way?

Debian native package format is intended for things which are only of any
use for Debian itself, like dpkg and apt.  As you've seen, dpkg-source
uses indications like absence of an upstream tarball and absence of a
dash in the version number to guess what it is supposed to be producing.

For packages which might be useful on any distro or even outside of Linux,
it's preferred to keep the debian/ directory (containing your packaging)
out of the normal tarball, and to incorporate it in the .diff.gz.

This helps because, when Policy changes or when some need for change in
the packaging comes to light, you don't need to make a whole new upstream
release, and the other non-Debian distros don't need to know about
the Debian change.  I guess you have all your packaging already in the
tarball, which is why you have an empty diff.gz file.  If you can separate
it out, there will be less Debian cruft for other distros, and the Debian
packaging will be separated from the package's own functional changes.

Nick