Re: Source format 3.0 (quilt) and new debhelper dh syntax (maint-guide)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 03:31:41PM +0100, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Le lundi 22 mars 2010, Osamu Aoki a écrit :
> > If you have "binary" and "build" targets explicitly mentioned in
> > debian/rules, it is time to update it :-)
> >
> > Anyway, many people still use old rule file for debhelper.  Please
> > consider to update them in more readable one.
>
> I am considering it very seriously. :-)
> But, in what I have seen of the new dh rules, there is no integrated
> binary-indep target. The binary-arch integrated target would do the
> same, but at the cost of what I see as a lie.
>
> In fact, I am looking for a documentation that explains what dh $@ does
> for each call, and what the dh_auto_* do. The new maintainer guide gives
> some information, but, if it is complete, that means that there are
> common cases that cannot be managed that way (like interpreted web
> applications, that are completely arch-independent).

This maint-guide does to some extent.  But making a small joke package
is the best way to leran.

I packaged following as my test and then moved to hello-debhelper :-)
-----
#!/bin/sh
echo "Hello World!"
-----

You set DH_VERBOSE=1 and you package ... you see everything.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-rules

Osamu