Re: RFS: Several packages waiting sponsor

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 09:29:00AM +0100, Innocent De Marchi wrote:

Hi,

> >- There are now two patch files with de.po fixes, I'd like to see them
> >consolidated to one file and passed on to the upstream dev if that hasn't
> >already happened.
>
>  The de.po  is partially resolved in the new version. I have adapted
> this patch (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=314096)
> to the new version. I have already sent the patch to the upstream
> author.

Ok, but I'd still like to see that merged into one patch and preferably add
a nice header. Currently the fix-de-po-corrections.patch has a note refering to
the bug id and the auto generated debian-changes-0.19.7-1 has the full default
header with the complete changelog.
My compromise would be to have both changes auto-generated in one patch by dpkg.

Beside that quilt is the tool of choice to edit such things. You just have to
set QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches.

> >- IMO the debian/copyright file still needs some polish. If you egrep -ri for
> >'copyright' you'll find some parts from the FSF and Drepper.
>
> Yo he cambiado un poco el archivo. Espero que este mejor.

I think you missed my point here, I guess I wasn't clear.
As a start please read
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

The debian/copyright format was ok, I just wanted you to note that most
of the files in the m4 directory have a copyright by the FSF. And there are
other files aswell with different copyright holders.

E.g. the file 'missing' states:
# Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# Originally by Fran,cois Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>, 1996.

or
po/Makefile.in.in:
# Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000-2007 by Ulrich Drepper <drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
and some more in src/.

You'll catch most of them with a 'egrep -ri copyright *' in the package source
directory.

I know that it's hard sometimes but even for packages which don't have to
be reviewed by the ftp-masters I'd like to see a copyright file which at least
states the obvious things. This is the best way to avoid any trouble and in
the past I've seen some very dubious copyright claims in open source software.
It's always good to review such things even if you and the current maintainer
believe it's all free and ok.

And thanks for catching up with upstream on the other bugs. :)

Cheers,
Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.