Re: Building and uploading package, depending on experimental

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 02:22:42PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:

> On 2010-12-26 14:18, Anton Gladky wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I want to upload  a package to http://mentors.debian.net, which I am working
> > on (https://launchpad.net/yade).
> > Now I am trying to build the package with pbuilder.
> > The problem is, that the software depends on package from experimental
> > branch (python-sphinx>0.99).
> >

> Hey
>
> > I have 2 questions:
> > 1) How can I build the package in pbuilder (--othermirror option did not
> > work)?
>
> You want to create a --distribution experimental chroot for this (man
> pbuilder for more information). Note you should not use the experimental
> chroot except when you build packages targeted for experimental.

...or you could use your existing pbuilder chroot (or copy it), then
login into it (pbuilder --login --save-after-login), add the experimental
lines to /etc/apt/sources.list and use /etc/apt/preferences to specify
that python-sphinx should be fetched from experimental.

Of course, if you want to use that chroot for other purposes (building
other packages that do not need the newer python-sphinx version), you'd
better copy it instead of just modifying it.  That's not too hard - copy
the base.tgz file under another name, create a new directory for the result,
and copy the pbuilderrc, specifying the new basetgz and result directory.

And then again, since the pbuilder manual page says that experimenal is
special-cased in pbuilder, it just might turn out that all this is already
implemented in pbuilder itself and I'm just wasting everyone's time :)
(I have to admit I'm pretty good at that sometimes...)

> > 2) May I upload such package to mentors.debian.net?
> >

> Yes, if you target the package for experimental (instead of unstable).
>
> > I would appreciate any comments or links, where I can find a solution for
> > the problem.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Anton Gladky
> >

> ~Niels

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.