Re: RFS: qmagneto

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 05:23:26PM -0500, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> I'm not a Debian Developer, so I can't upload. Anyway, here's a review:

I'm not DD either, but I have some comments...

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Jean-Luc Biord <jlbiord@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "qmagneto".
> >
> > * Package name    : qmagneto
> >   Version         : 1.3-4
> >   Upstream Author : Jean-Luc Biord <jlbiord@gmail.com>
> >
> > * URL             : http://biord-software.org/qmagneto/
> > * License         : GPL
> >   Section         : graphics
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > qmagneto   - QMagneto is an EPG (Electronic Program Guide) which displays
> > the TV programs. It also able to record programs by call an external program
> > as
> >
> >  VLC or mencoder. It is thus possible to record programs from a french BOX
> > (Neufbox or Freebox) or a DVB-T device.
> >

> > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> >
> > The upload would fix these bugs: 603806
> >

> > My motivation for maintaining this package is: Provide a new EPG for debian
> > compatible with the XMLTV format.
> >
> > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> >
> > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> > contrib non-free
> > - dget
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/q/qmagneto/qmagneto_1.3-4.dsc
> >

> > I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >  Jean-Luc Biord
> >

> One lintian warning with your dsc:
>
> W: qmagneto source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.4 (current is 3.9.1)
>
> postinst should be qmagneto.postinst
> install should be qmagneto.install
> menu should be qmagneto.menu
>
> manpages is empty, you should delete that file.
> docs is empty, you should delete that file
>
> watch is empty, you should fix it.
>
> As much as I love Ubuntu, you should not have Ubuntu versions in the
> Changelog. This looks like a new package, so this must be left over
> from your PPA. FYI, the versions should be appended with ~ppaN. That's
> secondary to the fact that they should not be here :)
>
> You should also be on revision qmagneto_1.3-1, not 4.

I'm not 100% sure the rule is that strict here, you probably want to
keep the upgrade path easy for the users, and the current ppa version
did not use the ~ (in debian version ordering ~ is before anything,
even before the empty string) so you might need to keep it -4.
I think I've already seen such an explanation before on mentors but I
couldn't find the reference just now...
(an other option would be to do a new upstream release, if you have
some fix for it, and then adjust the ppa version to 1.4-1~ppa1 and
the debian one to 1.4-1)

Also your qmagneto_1.3.orig.tar.gz file should normally be the result
of just renaming the upstream release tarball (the one the watch file
should be trying to find)

> Remove all the old uploads from the file, and close an ITP on the
> upload. If you don't have an ITP you should create one.

Well actually #603806 is the ITP, but it should be more obvious,
the debian new maintainers' guide propose the following wording:

 * Initial release (Closes: #603806)

> Your desktop file has an error:
>
> qmagneto.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop Entry" is deprecated
>
> You should fix this as well.
>
> I did not build the application, my netbook has a hard time. I'll
> build it and look at the debs when I get back to my computer.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> --
> All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.
>
> #define sizeof(x) rand()
> :wq

Hope this helps,

--