Re: Debconf in non-interactive mode

Dear Niko,

måndag den 22 november 2010 klockan 12:47 skrev Niko Tyni detta:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:38:08PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>
> > I could find good use of some advice on Debconf usage.
> > The recent automated package upgrade tests, conducted
> > by Lucas Nussbaum, hava revealed that my package Webfs
> > fails to upgrade properly from stable (1.21-5.1) to
> > testing (1.21+ds1-6). I have filed an RC bug against
> > myself on this matter, so I will have to solve it.
> >
> > My present analysis indicates that after my adoption
> > of the package, starting at 1.21+ds1-1, I was too keen
> > in letting the postinst script insert some new settings
> > in the configuration file. Thus the script awaits feedback
> > even in non-interactive mode.
>
> It's not really about non-interactive mode, that just happened
> to pinpoint the problem.
>
> The issue is that you're modifying a dpkg conffile (/etc/webfsd.conf) in
> your maintainer scripts. This is a violation of Debian policy 10.7.3 and
> explicitly listed in the 'Release Critical Issues for Squeeze' document at
>
>  http://release.debian.org/squeeze/rc_policy.txt
>
> so #603926 (cc'd) is definitely RC.

This confirms the conclusion I was forced to make in a renewed analysis
after sending the message to mentors.d.n. Thank you for the exact pointers.

> You might want to look at using ucf(1) to install the file instead of
> shipping it as a conffile.

I did implement a solution using ucf(1) for another package and another
RC-bug during spring, so I have some distant experience of that.

Once more, thank you for the clarification.

Regards,

Mats E Andersson