Re: RFS: morse (New upstream release)

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Nanakos Chrysostomos
<debian_mpg@wired-net.gr> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 09:57:09AM +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Nanakos Chrysostomos
>> <nanakos@wired-net.gr> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:02:33PM +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>>
>> Your fixes look good. But repacking pristine tarball is not a good
>> practice. Please use debian/patches/ instead, as your package is
>> already in "3.0 (quilt)" format.
>>
>> In doing so, please just use the downloaded upstream tarball as-is
>> (no need to rename the directory to morse-2.2-orig), then *rename*
>> (not repack) the tarball to morse_2.2.orig.tar.gz.
>
> Please advice me and show where is the real problem with that.

$ wget http://www.catb.org/~esr/morse/morse-2.2.tar.gz
$ dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/morse/morse_2.2-1.dsc
$ cmp morse-2.2.tar.gz morse_2.2.orig.tar.gz
morse-2.2.tar.gz morse_2.2.orig.tar.gz differ: byte 5, line 1
$ mkdir orig deb
$ tar xzf morse-2.2.tar.gz -C orig
$ tar xzf morse_2.2.orig.tar.gz -C deb
$ diff -Nuar orig/morse-2.2 deb/morse-2.2-orig
... The diffs you have done directly to upstream source here ...
... (which should not be done) ...

>> Please make sure not to modify source files directly. Always
>> use quilt to produce patches.
>
> There is source file modification because this is a newe upstream release.

No, I didn't mean the difference between upstream versions,
but the diff between upstream tarball and your .orig.tar.gz.

>> In previous version, 2.1-4, you had 6 patches in debian/patches/.
>> Is there a good reason to drop all of them? If so, please log it
>> in your debian/changelog. Or you may resurrect some patches,
>> such as 00makefile, 01morseX11 you are currently applying.
>
> These patches have been included to this new upstream release.
> There is no need to keep and increase the number of applied patches.

Most patches still apply to the new upstream source (not your
current .orig.tar.gz), although some refreshing may be needed.

The inclusions you mentioned were done to your .orig.tar.gz,
but are not actually merged upstream yet.

There are many good reasons to keep upstream tarball intact.
See [1] for some explanations.

  [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-origtargz

>> In fact, the patch to add morseX11.1 and morseLinux.1 manpages
>> can be replaced by adding them under debian/ and use dh_installman
>> (and the list in debian/manpages) to install them.
>
> I have build the package and installed it without any problems. dh_installman
> seems to work fine for the moment.

OK. So, you can install morseX11.1 and morseLinux.1 without
patching upstream source. Just ship them under debian/ dir.

>> The patches from previous version, however, refer to the ITA bug
>> (http://bugs.debian.org/553991) which is not relevant to the problem
>> they are fixing. So, if you are using them in the new version, please
>> just drop the Bug-Debian: field if it does not actully fix the bug.
>
> No I am not using them.

You should. :-)

>> After all, don't forget to log changes from previous version you have
>> done, including the added Recommends: and debian/rules changes.
>>
> Fixed and reuploaded the package to mentors.

Thanks. Please re-consider the pending changes above.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/